Location: Holly Springs
Date: October 5, 2023
BCFEMSA October 2023 Meeting Minutes
• Representatives of each member department were accounted for: Allgood, Bangor, Blount County Rescue Squad, Blountsville, Brooksville, Dallas Selfville, Holly Springs, Locust Fork, Mount High, Murphree Valley, Nectar, Oneonta, Remlap, Ricetown, Rosa, Royal, Snead, Straight Mountain, Susan Moore, West Blount
• Member Departments not present: Cleveland, Pine Mountain, Summit
• Associate members present: EMA, 911 Commission, Forestry, Special Ops, Lifeguard, Coroner, VOAD
• Associate Members not present: STV Blount, BREMSS, Law Enforcement, State Fire Marshall’s Office, RAMS, Survival Flight, Red Cross, District Attorney, Air Evac
• All Pro, Justin McKenzie, Sunbelt
Previous Meeting Minutes
• Motion to Accept: Jeremy Peek
• 2nd Motion to Accept: Steve Pass
• Minutes were approved with no objections.
• Motion to Accept: Heath Stockton
• 2nd Motion to Accept: Scott Payne
• Reports were approved with no objections, correction of financial statement by Doug.
• Football game invoices have not been sent in, be sure to do that to be paid.
• Veteran’s Day Parade 11/4 @10am, lineup @9am, forms due 10/31 *form is sent with this email
• At $90,000 for fuel man out of $100,000 annual budget. At 95%
• Monthly- budget $8,333, September- $6,750.22- 81%
• EMA is taking over the Drone Program for Blount County- in planning stages-will update when things are finalized
• Drive-thru flu clinic October 6th 8am-3pm @Ag Center, no charge for medicare/Medicaid/BCBS- bring ID and insurance card, $5 for other insurance or uninsured, COVID-19 vaccines available for 12+
• Still working on radio issues
• Have 9 dispatchers- allowed 29
• 23 active fires in the region on 10/4/2023, no burn permits are being given at this time.
• ACLS/BLS, PALS, ICLS, and NCCR courses upcoming; contact Gary Burns for details
• There are still many drug-related calls. Be careful.
• Having issues with staffing
• Working to get places certified through the Red Cross to assist in disaster relief
Jr. FF Camp
• Looking to get another association debit card or credit card for Fire Camp use for convenience.
NO Report from the following Departments:
Training, Fire Prevention, Explorer post, Special Ops, St. Vincent’s Blount, BREMSS, Sheriff’s Office, State Fire Marshall, DA’s Office, AL Lifesaver, RAMS, Survival Flight, Red Cross
• Healthcare Authority program opens 10/24/2023
• Clay Jones recused himself from the bylaw committee in response to his position as the newly appointed chairman. Mel Waid was appointed in his place.
• Chairman- Clay Jones
• Vice Chairman- Tyler Wilson
• Secretary- Abby Hill
• Treasurer- David Horton
With no nominations from the floor, the motion to close nominations was made.
Motion to close nominations- Scott Payne
Second motion to close nominations- Jeremy Peek
Motion carried with no objections.
The following proposals were made by Mel Waid and Sam Johnson
1. Meetings will be held bi-monthly in January, March, May, July, September, November on the first Thursday evening of these months.
2. There will be two scheduled sponsored meal events each year in May and November; no meals will be served at the other four meetings.
3. Attendance will be required at a minimum of four meetings per year to remain in good standing with the Association. These four meetings must be attended by the Chief, Assistant Chief, or someone designated by the Chief or Assistant Chief who will have voting privileges, and be responsible for communicating pertinent information to the Chief and Assistant Chief that affects their department.
4. The location of all meetings will be the Cleveland Community Center, until or if arrangements can be made for them to be conducted at the new Agri-Business Center.
5. Guest speakers and committee reports shall be limited to five minutes unless a request for more time is granted by the Chairman.
6. All meetings shall be conducted in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order.
7. If necessary, special meetings can be held at a time different from the scheduled bi-monthly meeting dates.
Article V, Section 3 Proposed Change
The secretary shall keep the minutes of all meetings. Minutes shall be taken and distributed via email within one (1) week of the meeting being adjourned. *This change will give ample opportunity for everyone to review necessary items to be addressed properly.
Article IV, Section 1 Proposed Change
The Chairman, Vice- Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Training Officer, and Special Operations Officer shall be elected during the September Meeting of each year. The Board of Directors election shall take place at the beginning of the November meeting and immediately take office.
Article IV, Section 2 Proposed Change
A three (3) member nominating committee shall be appointed in the May meeting of each year and shall give a report at the July meeting immediately upon the meeting’s call to order.
Article VIII, Section 6 Proposed Change
Any unexpected item to come before the Association will be allowed to be brought to the floor by a move and a second to suspend regular order of business to address said item. This shall require a two-thirds (2/3) majority vote.
Please see attached items for additional information.
With no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 20:11
The next meeting will be held on November 2nd at Palisades Park with a meal at 18:30 and meeting at 19:00.
Meeting Locations – 2023
Jan 5 – Remlap Feb 2 – Nectar March 2 – West Blount
April 6 – Susan Moore May 4 – Blountsville Jun 1 – Straight Mtn.
Jul 6 – Pine Mountain Aug 3 – Dallas Selfville Sept 7 – STV-Blount
Oct 5 – Holly Springs Nov 2 – Palisades Dec 7 – Oneonta
Blount Co. Fire & EMS Association